June 8, 2018
June 10th is National Herbs and Spices Day, a day set aside for the celebration of those little plants that give life so much flavor. Whether you realize it or not, a lot of these same herbs and spices have health-supporting qualities, and choosing the right ones can help you have healthy teeth and gums. Here we will run down some of the most beneficial herbs and spices you can build into your diet to support your oral health.
Herbs for Healthy Mouths
- Myrrh fights bleeding gums and can even heal them when supported in a healthy lifestyle and diet. Use it to help fight tooth decay, and remember it acts as a preservative in food!
- Neem sticks were often chewed by indigenous people because of their cavity-fighting and antibiotic properties. They’re coming back into popularity because they are so effective, too.
- Echinacea has been clinically proven to fight the common cold, alleviating many symptoms and helping patients recover faster. Its anti-inflammatory properties also make it great for helping inflamed gums.
- Plaintain herb is a bit different from the bready fruit. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and antibiotic agent, making it great for a healthy mouth, especially when used alongside other herbs with similar properties.
- Sage has been known to tighten gums and help sore mouths for centuries, making it a long-held staple in traditional medicine, especially for those seeking healthy teeth.
- Peppermint is probably the best-known herb for a healthy mouth, and it has had a place in both traditional and modern dental routines. It’s even the basis for many all-natural teeth cleaning products!
Stay On Top of Your Oral Health
If you need to make an appointment to have a regular teeth cleaning, or if you have questions about your oral health, contact us today. Dr. David Krishingner of the Water Oak Dental Group in Brevard, NC is making appointments with new and returning patients. All it takes to make an appointment with the dentist is a brief phone call to (828) 233-5767. Call today!